Subject: RE: Augustin's 8 Simple Rules for Open-Source Business Strategy
From: "Larry M. Augustin" <lma@lmaugustin.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:09:11 -0800

 Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:09:11 -0800
On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 Russell McOrmond wrote:
>On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, Larry M. Augustin wrote:
>
>> Taran Rampersad wrote:
>> >Given the recent discussions on the list, this appears to be pertinent -
>> >and accurate.
>> >
>> >http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1553990,00.asp
>>
>> I'm a bit surprised at the coverage of that talk.  I certainly didn't
>expect
>> anyone to write a story on it.
>>
>> I would appreciate feedback from this list.
>
>  I thought what you said was great.  I found the reporter thinking that
>"Open Source" was something new a bit annoying.  The term was new and the
>marketing campaign was new, but I don't think the concepts behind the Free
>Software movement could even be claimed to have been started by the FSF in
>the 1980's leave alone the OSI in the late 1990's, or the Creative Commons
>in the early 2000's.
>
>  This isn't a critique of the FSF, OSI, or CC, but I sometimes wonder if
>certain personalities are given more credit by the media than they are
>due.  I have my own heros in this movement with Lessig and Moglen being at
>the top, but that may because I think of myself as a "software paralegal"
>http://www.flora.ca/russell/drafts/osw2004.html#software-paralegal and the
>presentation from these lawyers being more credible to me than Stallman or
>Raymond (I've met Stallman, Raymond, and Moglen in person, but not yet
>Lessig).  My heros are not the same as everyone else, and not the ones
>most often mentioned in the media as "starting" something far bigger than
>any of these people or their groups.

The media likes stories about people, and as a result tends to give too much
credit to any one individual.

We tend to listen most to people who put things in terms that are familiar
to us.  Larry and Eben are lawyers.  Naturally, they would appeal to someone
with a legal background.  One of the strengths of the Open Source movement
is the diversity of its supporters.  All of us can speak in our own way to
our own constituencies.

Larry