Subject: Re: is freed software more cost effective then proprietary?
From: "Leonard H. Tower Jr." <tower@ai.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 12:12:20 -0500 (EST)

   Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 10:44:18 -0500
   From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>

   > Further comments?

   Free software tools are wonderfully cost-effective for me, warts and
   all.  I haven't had to learn new tools or environments across n years
   and m jobs.  I never lose my effectiveness, as happens when somebody
   tries to make me use windows.  Actually, that's not true.  I have had
   to learn a pile of new things, but all the changes have been
   incremental, instead of gratuitously epochial (is that a word?)

Sounds like my and many other's experience with Emacs, especially GNU
Emacs.  And for me, gcc and gdb, among others.

GNU Emacs is at one end of the free software tool cost effective
continuum.  I know of no proprietary Emacs' or "equivalent" computing
support environment that are more successful or as easy to use for the
sophisticated user then GNU Emacs.

-len