Subject: Re: Model for FOSS financing by consortium
From: davidw@dedasys.com (David N. Welton)
Date: 06 Apr 2004 00:06:40 +0200

Rich Bodo <rsb@ostel.com> writes:

> O.K. So a hypothetical.  Developer writes a widget, puts Copyright
> Developer and GPL at the top, and submits to the Distributor.

> Distributor advertises widget, First_Customer agrees to pay 10KUSD
> for unlimited use of widget, as per terms of contract outlined in
> section 4, above.

> First_Customer is betting that Other_Customers will agree to pay
> Distributor for use of widget, therefore causing Distributor to
> effectively pass on a portion of that money to First_Customer.

My thoughts: that's (potentially) a lot of risk, and furthermore, it
puts First_Customer in the position of selling widgets, something they
may not have the interest or ability to pursue.

How does one control the 'leaks' as the software comes into the hands
of more people, who all have the rights to relicense it in turn?

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/