Subject: Cygnus and proprietary software
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 00:28:52 -0500

> It was founded also to prove to the market that free software is
> just as viable an option for users (and investors) as commercial
> software.

Judged only on that basis, I think it has clearly failed.

> I hope this trend is just the result of Cygnus's unique
> circumstances, rather than a problem that every free software
> company will trip over as it reaches Cygnus's size.

The proprietary approach simply makes more money.  As a company grows
and gains new stakeholders from the market, the new stakeholders'
priorities are not about preaching a philosophy, but about making a
return on investment.  I feel a lapse into proprietariness is
inevitable for any free software company.  This will remain true until
making free software is as profitable as making proprietary software.

Another member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) www.lpf.org