Subject: Re: Cygnus and proprietary software
From: Brian Bartholomew <>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 15:28:23 -0500

> In theory at least, Cygnus has saved money on gcc because Cygnus
> could start with a compiler that worked that they didn't have to pay
> for, rather than start from scratch.

Undoubtably true.  I don't believe Cygnus would have been viable if
they had to recoup the original development of gcc at ordinary
commercial programmer rates.

> and this would suggest that perhaps the best way to make money for
> writing free software is indeed proprietary software.  if i spend
> 10% of my time writing proprietary software, and 90% writing free
> software, there will be more free software than if I spend most of
> my time doing some minimum wage job, and what little is left writing
> free software.

Agreed, and I suspect this is what the most prolific free software
contributors do.  Which suggests that developing free software for
non-volunteer, "it's a living" purposes is impossible.

Another member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF)
Brian Bartholomew - - - Working Version, Cambridge, MA