Subject: Re: Sample contracts for sponsored development?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:25:51 +0900

    Norbert> The project has a policy requiring copyright assignment,
    Norbert> so clearly our sponsor's contract needs to say that the
    Norbert> sponsor will not own the copyright on the sponsored code.
    Norbert> On the other hand, the sponsor would like to give us
    Norbert> source code for a widget lib that implements the
    Norbert> _corporate_identity_ aspects of their GUIs which they
    Norbert> need to have working on the DotGNU platform.  While there
    Norbert> apparantly aren't any real business secrets in this
    Norbert> source code, clearly they want to keep it proprietary.

I really don't see the problem.  File off the serial numbers before
distributing, eg, replace identifying strings with "This Product Is
Not Endorsed By Anybody"---that should convince downstream users to
put their own message in ;-).  If you don't do that, then lazy people
are going to use the trademarks and/or logos improperly when
experimenting, and the Internet being what it is, this stuff will leak
out.

If it's not that simple, for example somehow the widgets themselves
are bound up with the corporate identity (don't tell me it's
Amazon.com with one-click shopping? :-), you're going to have to come
up with other example widgets, no?