Subject: Re: Kent Beck's talk
From: Ben Tilly <btilly@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:40:54 -0700

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 12:36:28 -0700, Adam Monsen <haircut@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any thoughts on Kent Beck's talk?

I have no thoughts on a talk that I'm unaware of.

> I enjoyed the discussion and share many of the same concerns. We live
> in the renaissance of software.

Could you link to the talk?  Or summarize it?

It is hard to say intelligent things about something I haven't seen.

> I've recently quit my full-time proprietary-software writing job in
> search of FOSS development positions, and I need help figuring out how
> this is going to work.

My advice is to start writing FOSS before you quit your day job.

Also note that FOSS tends to be an enabling technology.  Most jobs
involving FOSS use it as part of your toolkit while doing something
else.  So a lot of FOSS development means working on something
else, often something proprietary.

If you want to search the archives, a while ago there was an
interesting discussion started by Simon Cozens on what free
software hackers can learn from the Christian tentmaker
movement.  (Tentmakers are missionaries who go somewhere
planning to become part of the community, supporting themselves
type of non-missionary work.)

> (this is a discussion list, right?)

Yes.  And as soon as I have a better idea about what I'm
supposed to discuss, I'm likely to. :-)

Cheers,
Ben