Subject: Re: About the term "libre software"
From: Jesse Vincent <jesse@bestpractical.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:00:42 -0400

On Sep 14, 2004, at 5:38 PM, Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 21:24, La Monte H.P. Yarroll wrote:
>> Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona wrote:
>> One comment which caught my attention:
>>
>> From: Colin Plumb (colin@eecg.toronto.edu)
>>
>> In fact, English DOES have an adjective: libertine.  The term dies on
>> connotations, but I like the idea of working on "libertine software"
>> :-)...
>
> Hmmm. "libertino" also exists in Spanish, and probably with the same
> connotations (I didn't know it existed in English). And yes, I also
> like
> the idea ;-)

Having worked on some libertine software in my youth, I must say that
it was some of the most fun I've ever had writing code, as well as the
best received by a novice user community. These days, I write code that
seems to find itself more at home in corporate environments. While they
appreciate the freedoms they have with my software, I've never had even
one of them express the desire for the freedom to take advantage of RT
in a way that might be considered libertine ;)

Best,
Jesse