Subject: Re: Examples needed against Soft Patents
From: Ben Tilly <btilly@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:48:58 -0800

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:43:18 +0100, Bernard Lang
<Bernard.Lang@datcha.net> wrote:
[...]
> - I definitely need a detailed commented list of free projects,
>   everywhere, that have been stopped because of patents.
>
>   ...  especially because of pure software patents
>    (some people may argue that it is not the case for MP3)
[...]

I don't have such a list.  But the famous gif patent comes to mind.
Likewise for many years SSL could not be implemented in free
software in the USA until that patent expired.  I believe that Cisco
still has a patent blocking free software implementing specific
kinds of network failover, but I forget the details.  Many, many
more exist.

But rather than compiling a list piecemeal from people's memory,
I'd suggest trying some of the usual suspects.  The EFF, FSF, and
some knowledgeable people like Greg Aharonian.  (I don't know
his email address off of the top of my head, but I'd expect several
here to be able to tell it to you.)

Cheers,
Ben