Subject: Re: Examples needed against Soft Patents
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:25:25 +0900

    Michael> Doesn't that make open peer-review *more* important for
    Michael> pharmaceuticals?

Not particularly.  According to Steve McConnell, "open" (ie, "I'll
look at it if and when I feel like it") peer review can't hold a
candle to review by a team of expert professionals.  This is going to
hold even more true for medical experiments.  Making it open (ie,
requiring publication of the patent application as well as the patent
awarded) is very unlikely to save any lives.