Subject: Re: Need quotes for an article...
From: Adam Turoff <ziggy@panix.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:19:54 -0500

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 11:10:25AM -0500, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
> Anyone want to answer these questions? This is for publication....

This reminds me of a quote attributed to Danny Hillis in the 1990s:

	One elephant has about the same locomotive power as 1000 ants.

(This was in justification of the Connection Machine, compared to other
supercomputers like Cray.)

It's easy to measure the R&D budgets of companies like Chrysler and
Volkswagen, and it's even easy to measure that creative effort in
dollars.  It's well nigh impossible to measure the R&D investment of the
open source community because there are so many spending such negligable
amounts of money, all the time and all over the world.  And then there
are the non-monetized investments, like the hacker toiling away in the
basement at 3am, or the hacker who polishes up the test suite his
employer underwrote and releases it with a GPL license attached.

How do you make a comparison between open source and corporate R&D
investments?  I'm not sure that you can, and even if you could, I'm not
convinced that it would be a meaninful comparison.

Z.