Subject: Re: Examples needed against Soft Patents
From: Ben Tilly <btilly@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:01:55 -0800

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:04:01 -0800, Michael R. Bernstein
<webmaven@cox.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 08:59, David N. Welton wrote:
> >
> > I would posit that the percentage of computer programs that are in a
> > position to kill people is much smaller than the position of
> > pharmaceuticals in a position to kill people.
>
> Doesn't that make open peer-review *more* important for pharmaceuticals?

To that end I've heard that several journals recently decided
that they will NOT accept publications from companies unless
those companies make available all results from all trials that
they do.

The selective presentation of information is dangerous to the
process of science, and companies have strong incentives to
be very selective about what they present...

Cheers,
Ben