Subject: Re: Need quotes for an article...
From: Russell McOrmond <russell@flora.ca>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 16:54:03 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Sure.  Microsoft has only written four text editors that made it into
> production: edit, notepad, wordpad, and word.  Anybody at all worthy
> of the term 'hacker' has written their own text editor.

  I don't think I ever wrote my own text editor, but I did have to write
my own 6502 assembler to get some of the larger programs I was writing in
the 80's out.  Does that count?  ;-)

  If you look at OpenOffice.org, Mozilla.org, X.org, PostgreSQL/MySQL and
the various FLOSS kernels (*BSD, Darwin, Linux) which when added together
would likely be similar to (likely greater than) the output of Microsoft,
and yet this doesn't even start to count the projects hosted by
SourceForge, Savannah, etc.

  How much money Microsoft Spends on this development is largely
irrelevant, as we don't need accounting methodologies that favor
inefficient development models and discounts the advantages of open
collaborative development models.

 Have you, your family, your friends (, your enemies) signed the
 Petition to the Canadian Parliament for Users' Rights in Copyright?
 http://digital-copyright.ca/petition/