Subject: Re: Examples needed against Soft Patents
From: Ben Tilly <btilly@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:51:45 -0800

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 01:13:24 -0500, Taran Rampersad <cnd@knowprose.com> wrote:

> >    Taran> Doctors presently use statistics for everything - an
> >    Taran> example being an aspirin a day reduces the risk of heart
> >    Taran> attack.
> >
> >    Taran>  And yet, the Human Genome Project has shown that this only
> >    Taran> works on every 1 out of 300.
> >
> >That's impossible.  That statement assumes we know how the human body
> >works, which simply ain't true.  If that statement has any meaning, it
> >must be something like "according to the HGP only one human of 300 has
> >one of the genes believed to be linked to a negative relationship
> >between aspirin consumption and heart attack risk."
> >

> Err. OK. If I must spell it out, that's what I would have said. But I
> didn't think I needed to. Mea culpa.

I still strongly doubt the claim.  According to
http://www.skyaid.org/Skyaid%20Org/Medical/Stroke_Aspriin.htm in
two large trials giving aspirin to people who had stroke prevented
nearly 1% of them from having a recurrence.  This suggests that
aspirin helps nearly 1% of the population - which is more than the
1/300 figure that you gave.

Admittedly those studies are limited to people who already have
strokes.  But it is well-demonstrated that aspirin reduces clotting,
and clotting and strokes are correlated.

Therefore I'm going to have to ask for a reference for your 1/300
figure.

Thanks,
Ben