Subject: Re: Examples needed against Soft Patents
From: Taran Rampersad <cnd@knowprose.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 03:05:21 -0500

All of this aside, if there are software patents, wouldn't they be
derivative of hardware patents? After all, software requires hardware in
the first place. So a patent on a software application would have to be
derived from a patent from an operating system which in turn would be
derived from a patent on the hardware.

Or are we saying that Software Patents can exist in a vacuum? Now, if
people want to patent software and pay royalties to people/companies who
have patents on the hardware, I may have to rethink my stance on
software patents. That, after all, is a logical progression of patents.

What is being pawned off as Software Patents is not a logical
progression of patents - at least in my mind.

Now, fly this up a flagpole and see how fast companies and corporations
who want software patents start rethinking their stances as well.

This is not really about patents, is it? If it were, if it were about
protecting the inventions of people... wouldn't that mean hono(u)ring
patents for the equipment on which other patents run?

--
Taran Rampersad

cnd@knowprose.com

http://www.linuxgazette.com
http://www.a42.com
http://www.worldchanging.com
http://www.knowprose.com
http://www.easylum.net

"The wave of the future is not the conquest of the world by a single dogmatic creed
but the liberation of the diverse energies of free nations and free men."  John F.
Kennedy