Subject: Re: India's Software Patents
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:32:41 +0100

This is interesting since India will not get any advantage from
this. Quite the contrary (I would better see China in that position).

The major question here is that they seem to restrict software patents
to embedded software.  This is _extremely_significant_.  I wrote a
paper that addresses (among other things) this issue (unfortunately,
the english version is not ready yet).

Depending on the definition of "embedded" that they chose, this may
affect free software in very different ways.

Does anyone have more details about the actual text, and the chosen
definitition.

I am also concerned as to how the manage to limit the effect of
patents to embedded software, and remain compatible with the TRIPS
constraints.

Bernard

* Taran Rampersad <cnd@knowprose.com>, le 28-12-04, a écrit:
> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/12/27/1323237
>
> Considering how much proprietary software is actually developed in
> India, this is noteworthy.
>
> --
> Taran Rampersad
>
> cnd@knowprose.com
>
> http://www.linuxgazette.com
> http://www.a42.com
> http://www.worldchanging.com
> http://www.knowprose.com
> http://www.easylum.net
>
> "The wave of the future is not the conquest of the world by a single dogmatic creed
but the liberation of the diverse energies of free nations and free men." ? John F.
Kennedy