Subject: Re: Cygnus and proprietary software
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 10:50:39 +0100 (MET)

> Why would somebody feel misled if they suddenly find out that the
> software is freely redistributable?

   I have asked my own organization about supporting free software (we
use it a lot). My boss is willing to do it, as long as I can get a
bill for the accounting department. The main problem I have had in the
past was to get billed. Apparently, many free software creators are
working with some kind of association or foundation... they can accept
donation (and even ask for them) but they cannot bill. I always
thought that the GNU deluxe distribution was mainly for that purpose.
  Another problem is our budget structure. I can support free software
on my own budget, but not everyone will do it, and it is harder to do
it (for larger sums) at upper management level.

Bernard

 Bernard.Lang@inria.fr             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 (1) 3963 5644
 http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Fax  +33 (1) 3963 5469
                  CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX