Subject: Re: Examples needed against Soft Patents
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 16:33:21 +0900

    >> This is why I think a simple policy solution for the problem of
    >> software patents would be a simple requirement that patent
    >> applications include a statement that the process claims do not
    >> include abstract instructions provided to a generic logic
    >> device,

    Ben> I'd like that law.

I don't see how it helps all that much.  Input and output are not
abstract, they are physical, and eventually to transform input into
output you will have a physical device involved.  So you need to
define "abstract instruction" and "generic logic device" in legally
meaningful ways before that law would be useful.