Subject: Re: U.S. Falls out of the Index of Economic Freedom's Top 10
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 16:58:13 +0900

    Taran> Does look pretty wacky how they came up with that...

The whole thing's wacky.  E.g., the U.S. rating gets hurt worst on
"fiscal burden".  While I think the U.S. level of taxation is too
high, once the principle of any given tax is granted, I don't see how
changing the level affects "freedom."  That's like saying that a price
cut on Microsoft Office makes it "freer" software!  Also, the Heritage
foundation clearly doesn't think that those aspects of tax policy that
target the poor affect economic freedom very much.  And IIRC
protection of IP is considered an unmitigated plus for economic
freedom.

As far as I can tell the Foundation's definitions and its statistics
are fiddled to favor increasing power of corporations rather than
freeing or empowering people to do business.  They give us
right-wingers a bad name ;-).