Subject: Re: Is Big Blue turning Red? IBM opens SW patents
From: Seth Johnson <seth.johnson@RealMeasures.dyndns.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:39:47 -0500

Actually, it's a true perversion of capitalism to call the
principle of information freedom "communist" -- as opposed to
capitalism, presumably.

Capitalism and communism have in common an historical
understanding of what free software stands for.

Enlightenment philosophy is thoroughly informed by this
understanding, and the political philosophies of freedom derive
from a root in the recognition of the nature of Reason as a
universal feature of human beings.

We're really fighting to preserve that tradition against
corruption by people with an ugly conception of reality.

Seth Johnson

"Marshall W. Van Alstyne" wrote:

> At 04:40 AM 1/12/2005, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> >Gates is right, though, and IP reformers should be proud of the label.
> >
> >Just because Marx made a lot of mistakes and the name "communist" was
> >usurped by the most organized gang of thugs the world has ever seen
> >doesn't mean that Marx didn't have a pretty good idea of what the
> >problem was, and (at least for software) a reasonable idea of what the
> >solution might be.
>
> Well, I'm hoping that a willingness to generate information wealth, share
> nonrival resources, and appreciate your fellow (wo)man is a lot broader
> than "communism" :)
>
> --

exclusive rights.