Subject: Re: Request for comments
From: Mikko Valimaki <mikko.valimaki@hut.fi>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:32:22 +0200

Hi,

I wrote some two years back a more academic article on dual licensing.
It's available on my website http://www.valimaki.org/ - you might find
it helpful. I collected for example some data from SleepyCat, TrollTech
& MySQL at that time.

I can mostly agree with your idea that dual licensing is against the
"true" spirit of open source if you mean by "true" open source the
hacker side of the phenomena. But if you look at the whole software
industry and how venture capitalists etc see open source, then one might
argue that these dual licensors are exactly what open source is going to
be - just another strategic tool for any software firm. And on the other
hand e.g. MySQL and SleepyCat started as "true" open source. Their
developers first gave the products for free to the internet community
and made money from e.g. daytime jobs, selling traditional services etc.
Only later when their products became so popular did they "invent" the
dual licensing model.

Regards,
Mikko