Subject: Re: What should Sun do?
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:48:16 -0800

begin David N. Welton quotation of Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 07:53:47PM +0100:

> What do you think they ought to do, in order to make money, and
> improve their appearance in the eyes of "the open source world"?

The less they invest in SPARC and in the current
Solaris dead-cat bounce, the better.  Ultimately
they're going to be the "Java brand Java you can
trust (on top of generic everything else that we'll
integrate for you or not)" company, and the less
expensively they get there, while concentrating on the
best Java Java Java everything, the better for them.

On the PR side, two words -- sue SCO.  Either for
publicly misrepresenting Sun's "bought-out"
Unix license and right to open-source Solaris,
or for something related to Sun's (big mistake)
SCOsource license.  They should be able to come up
with something.

Sun also needs to fix its wack-ass publications
policy.  Unreviewed wild-and-wooly blogs: thumbs up.
Actual contributed articles to actual publications:
bureaucratic nightmare.  I have never seen a
company do so much open source work and get so
little ink for it.  GNOME and OpenOffice are huge,
Sun does huge amounts of work on them, but all the
media sees is "Linux is coming!  Sun is DOOMED!" and
schwartz's blog.  Meanwhile Linux Journal (and other
publications, I'm sure) is buying extra drives for
/var/mail to hold all the article pitches from IBMers.

I don't really see a reason for Sun to change the
license terms for Java -- people who like Java already
like JCP, and a truly open-source Java would strip Sun
of $0.xx per cell phone planet-wide for questionable
benefit.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/