Subject: Re: What should Sun do?
From: Lajos <lajos@galatea.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:06:28 -0700

Having consulted at Sun for a number of years, I too would agree with
the advice to fold. Never have I seen such an inefficient organization
with absolutely no ability to change. Conversely, the brightest people I
ever worked with were Sun employees. It is just that their talents are
terribly misused. Unless Sun realizes they have a problem, they really
have no chance at getting anywhere with Solaris 10 or anything else.

In a nutshell, Sun is a company suffering from a "divine right" complex.
They believe that they have a divine right to be a success. Years of
turning a profit has apparently cemented that belief first into
arrogance and then laziness. The burst of the Internet bubble provided
something of a wake-up call but it really came too late.

Just don't confuse Sun with true open source ...

Regards,

Lajos

Galatea IS Inc.

David Fetter wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 07:53:47PM +0100, David N. Welton wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>To have something else to discuss rather than patents, which for
>>some of us is perhaps straying a bit far from the practicalities of
>>free software business, despite our general support for limiting the
>>frivolous ones, I'd like to propose "what should Sun do?" as a topic
>>of debate.
>

> My thought is, "fold."  Sun hardware is in a now-vanished space
> between FreeBSD and Linux on x86 underneath and IBM on top.  Sun
> software...some of it is nice stuff, but they're not making any money
> on it.  They missed their chance to stay profitable.
>
> In re: FLOSS, they've also missed their chance to be percieved as a
> supporter.  Right now, it would take at least a year--which they can
> ill afford--of consistent pro-FLOSS messages from every level of the
> company to convince people that they really had some kind of pro-FLOSS
> stance.
>

>>(BTW, what do they make their money from these days?)
>

> According to quarterly reports, they don't.
>
> Cheers,

                    Lajos Moczar
     Open Source Support, Consulting and Training
              "The Open Source Monopoly"
           www.galatea.com/opensource.html

                  Tomcat Unleashed
  (www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672326361)