Subject: Re: What should Sun do?
From: "Marshall W. Van Alstyne" <marshall@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 07:56:42 -0500

At 11:21 PM 1/21/2005, Benjamin J. Tilly wrote:

>In any case they need to form a vision of where to be and
>start going there.  Right now they have a lot of nice gestures,
>but it doesn't seem to be a very coherent strategy given the
>reality that the workstation market has gone and isn't going to
>return.  Within the Java world they have some enemies due to
>trying to maintain control.  Once they decide where to go, they

On the software side, I suspect there's an opportunity to achieve a kind of
"platform leadership" in Java and Open Office. The issue is to provide the
right flexibility and incentives in licensing that would promote  broader
investment in these platforms. Earlier  postings about having to load Java
from within Mozilla show this is an opportunity they haven't yet figured
out how to manage.