Subject: Re: What should Sun do?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:42:56 +0900

    Marshall> On the software side, I suspect there's an opportunity
    Marshall> to achieve a kind of "platform leadership" in Java and
    Marshall> Open Office. The issue is to provide the right
    Marshall> flexibility and incentives in licensing that would
    Marshall> promote broader investment in these platforms.

I don't immediately resonate to that idea, for two reasons:

    A quick look at the job postings suggests that investment in Java
    runs both broad and deep, but it's hard for Sun to capture more
    than a tiny amount of that.

    On the other hand, I see very little awareness of Open Office as a
    platform.  The circles I hang out in are not going to be looking
    at Open Office as a potential platform for their own development,
    it's true.  But they're pretty OSS-oriented, so if a general
    perception of OO as a platform were growing, I suspect I'd pick it
    up.

Maybe they're just blowing it on the education side for OO, but the
Java experience suggests they'd have a hard time exploiting platform
leadership there, too.