Subject: Re: What should Sun do?
From: Peter Wayner <pcw@flyzone.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:47:52 -0500

And don't forget the BSD world. Bill Joy brought plenty of that code
base with him when he left Berkeley for Sun. While I don't really know
exactly what code flowed into and out of Sun, I'm sure there were some
contributions to the BSD base. Furthermore, Sun brought legitimacy to
the BSD world and made it one of the major foundations of the Internet.
Even if you can't count the exact number of lines, just moral support
is very important. Microsoft ended up grabbing the BSD TCP/IP stack for
some of their early forays into the Internet. Without the weight of
Sun, the winning protocols could have been proprietary.

It's funny. While Sun certainly took from the BSD base, it also
strengthened it in the process. Open source is odd that way.

-Peter