Subject: Re: What should Sun do?
From: Laurent GUERBY <laurent@guerby.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:02:31 +0100

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 23:06 -0500, Keith Bostic wrote:
> > From: Laurent GUERBY <laurent@guerby.net>
> >
> >> On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 21:47 -0500, Peter Wayner wrote:
> >> And don't forget the BSD world. Bill Joy brought plenty of that code
> >> base with him when he left Berkeley for Sun. While I don't really know
> >> exactly what code flowed into and out of Sun, I'm sure there were some
> >> contributions to the BSD base.
> >
> > I don't know either, but here is a good approximation: 100% of open
> > source BSD went into Sun, 0% of Sun went into open source.
>
> Peter is correct; Sun made major contributions to BSD, but
> they made them around 1985, and the code was folded into
> the standard release at that time.  Other companies (for
> example, HP and CCI) also contributed.

Thanks for the information, I couldn't find traces of those
but I assume you're right (if you have references...).

For the sake of the argument, 1985 is also the date
of the GNU manifesto, just before lots of software
was just free, and it's only after that the free vs proprietary
debate really started, so post 1985 contribution
would be more relevant to counter my initial point
(which is that Open Office dwarf any other Sun contribution
in whatever metric you choose).

Laurent