Subject: Re: Epistemology of FS
From: "Marshall W. Van Alstyne" <marshall@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 11:10:35 -0500

At 02:41 PM 2/2/2005, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>on Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 10:21:22AM -0800, DV Henkel-Wallace
>(gumby@henkel-wallace.org) wrote:
>
> > ObFSB tie-ins:  I don't feel there is much serious study of free
> > software economics yet (there is some fuzzy "community" stuff).
> > Perhaps there never will be.  I really only know of one guy (some guy
> > living in Japan) although undoubtedly there is more.
>
>s/is/are/
>
>Stephen's one.  Here in the Bay Area we've got Hal Varian, dean of the
>School of Information Management Science, at Berkeley.  There's an
>economist at the FRB of Atlanta, Gerald Dwyer.  And that's just off the
>top of my head.  Not bad company.

FWIW, we recently began economic modeling of free software.  Got a little
NSF $ to do this and have also been discussing it over at Creative Commons
on the cc-bizcom list (although that's been quiet lately) -- found out
about this list later.  One of the goals is to take econ theory and build a
free and open model of software in software.  This will be a kind of
recursive open science such that anyone can test and modify the econ theory
assumptions then see what kind of growth, adoption, and welfare results.

Also FWIW, I think Hal's on short term leave from Berkeley while working
for Google.

MVA