Subject: Re: Should Sun do open source? (was: What should Sun do?)
From: ken_i_m@elegantinnovations.net
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 15:02:49 -0700

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 01:09:35PM -0800, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:
> begin Lajos quotation of Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 08:39:02PM -0700:
>
> > Finally, I think we should be much more worried about the other Sun
> > news: the outsourcing of their IT organization to CSC for $360m USD.
> > (http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2005/0203sunset.html). An IT company that
> > can't do its own IT?
>
> If you're being covered by an analyst whose pet
> statistic is "revenue/employee" then this could be
> the ticket to a better rating.

An analyst with tunnel vision applies a narrow metric that, in effect,
measures the consumption of dog food by a dog food producer (who employs
dogs)*.  Fails to understand the 'remaining competitive' implications of
this cost of doing business and recommends a course of action that
slowly undermines the quality of the dog food from this producer.

Satiating spite through the amputation of noses.

* M$ eats SAP brand dog food.  Analysis of the quality of M$ brand dog
  food is left as an exercise for the reader.
--
I reason and act, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer, Elegant Innovations