Subject: Re: commercial / proprietary
From: davidw@dedasys.com (David N. Welton)
Date: 17 Feb 2005 14:04:05 +0100

>     David> Are there examples that come to mind of developers,
>     David> whether individuals or corporations, who have released
>     David> software as open source in order to maximize their
>     David> monetary returns on the time invested in creating the
>     David> software?

> Define "maximize monetary returns."

I'll put it in my terms then:

"Make as much money as possible."  In other words, not doing it out of
the good of their hearts, or to thumb their nose at some competitor,
but because they think it's the best way to make the most money.

> The example that I would say best fits is the X Window System, and
> even that is really a dual-license setup.

How so?  I don't know enough about the history of X.  The notion I
have is that it was a big-company consortium kind of affair.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Apache, Linux, Tcl Consulting