Subject: Re: commercial / proprietary
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:17:56 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, David N. Welton wrote:
> "Make as much money as possible."  In other words, not doing it out of
> the good of their hearts, or to thumb their nose at some competitor,
> but because they think it's the best way to make the most money.

Which companies do you think are involved in Open Source primarily out of
the "good of their hearts"?  Let me know, so I can short their stock.

I'm also struggling to think of examples where "thumb their nose" didn't
have a "make money" motive behind it.

Even something as big-hearted as IBM's 500-patent grant had some very
shrewd business reasoning behind it.

 	Brian