Subject: Re: Cygnus and proprietary software
From: "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 18:23:09 -0500 (EST)

   There *is* a Prisoner's Dilemma situation with R&D when you have two
   companies working on the same software.

Companies in the free software community seem to work together well.
IE I think Cygnus pays Cyclic for a support contract, and GNAT doesn't
happen to overlap with Cygnus's bussiness AFAIK.

However, I think Cygnus is unhappy that the compete with Wind River, and
Wind River doesn't help with free software development nearly as much as
Cygnus does.  I think Wind River had a proprietary GUI for gdb before
Cygnus did, for example.