Subject: Re: commercial / proprietary
From: Alan Hudson <giles@yumetech.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:37:31 -0800

David N. Welton wrote:

>I think IBM has played the open source game masterfully, but my
>interest in this particular thread lies with open source products
>created to directly make money for a company.  Perhaps that's just
>"looking at things wrong"...

I'm not sure what level of success your looking for, but I'll post the
example I know the best.

My company, Yumetech, has several open source products in the market,
mostly focused on real-time 3D graphics.  All of them
have been open source from the beginning.

We've been around for 4 years and maintained 3-5 employees during that
time.  So nothing large, but a good business from my view.

We get most of our revenue from custom application development using our
codebases.  Primarily in the government and military sectors.

We've gotten some grant money, about 10% of our revenue.  We actively
submit about 3-5 grant proposals per year to mostly american grant
agencies(NSF,NIH,NIST...)

I can answer specifics if this case is useful to you.