Subject: Re: commercial / proprietary
From: davidw@dedasys.com (David N. Welton)
Date: 23 Feb 2005 16:46:12 +0100

Alan Hudson <giles@yumetech.com> writes:

> David N. Welton wrote:

> >I think IBM has played the open source game masterfully, but my
> >interest in this particular thread lies with open source products
> >created to directly make money for a company.  Perhaps that's just
> >"looking at things wrong"...

> I'm not sure what level of success your looking for, but I'll post
> the example I know the best.

Making money from it (and have "paid back" the time spent building
it.

> My company, Yumetech, has several open source products in the
> market, mostly focused on real-time 3D graphics.  All of them have
> been open source from the beginning. We've been around for 4 years
> and maintained 3-5 employees during that time.  So nothing large,
> but a good business from my view. We get most of our revenue from
> custom application development using our codebases.  Primarily in
> the government and military sectors. We've gotten some grant money,
> about 10% of our revenue.  We actively submit about 3-5 grant
> proposals per year to mostly american grant
> agencies(NSF,NIH,NIST...)

Cool, that sounds like a good example.  You could probably get some
mileage out of your story if you wrote it up.  It sounds like an
interesting case study.  I would be interested to hear how you decided
to create and release the products as open source rather than some
other licensing scheme.

Thankyou for your time,
--
David N. Welton