Subject: Re: Open Source funding?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:08:37 +0900

    Matthew> I realize this isn't quite a franchising model - but it's
    Matthew> pretty similar and works well.

Actually, it's quite different in important ways, I think.  The
franchise idea is _product_-oriented, and it's your brand.  You have
to guarantee quality to the customers and custom to the franchisees to
some extent or it really doesn't work.

Your "side busines" is really more a brokering model---neither the
warrantee nor the brand is yours, rather you are performing the
service of being an "intelligent customer" (cf Lajos's posts, about
"looking past the hype") on behalf of your client.  I think this is
much more appropriate to the reality of open source developer
behavior.