Subject: RE: Open Outsourcing
From: "Anderson, Kelly" <KAnderson@dentrix.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:21:57 -0700

 Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:21:57 -0700
Sure, that's one kind of open outsourcing... Maybe I would call that "in
house open outsourcing" :-) I guess what I'm more interested in is
something like the following scenario...

A lawyer wants to develop an email application for his office that keeps
track of the hours he spends on each client's email. He puts a bid out
on RAC for someone to implement this as an improvement or extension to
Thunderbird. The resulting software is profitable for him (he can now
bill hours that he spends reading email) and there is now another
component out there in open source. The cost to him might be $200-$400
for developing something of this magnitude.

The next lawyer comes along, and adds a module that automatically looks
up a law by case number, and inserts the case text into the email at the
current cursor position...

Etc. etc. etc.

Eventually, you have a suite of open source tools that are helpful to
lawyers. It's very organic, not organized at all...

The Thunderbird people figure out whether or not they will accept the
contribution, so it's still really in their court.

I'm not talking about huge projects involving thousands of programmers,
just little add on type things that benefit a business directly and
immediately.

-Kelly