Subject: Re: rocket science
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:48:27 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
> I've read elsewhere that the onboard computer group's software is not only
> the world's most error-free, but also the world's most expensive. This
> article didn't touch on cost.

It does, at the end:

   And money is not the critical constraint: the groups $35 million per
   year budget is a trivial slice of the NASA pie, but on a
   dollars-per-line basis, it makes the group among the nation's most
   expensive software organizations.

Um, yeah.  Dollars-per-line(-per-year!) is about as relevant as
lines-of-code-per-developer-hour in measuring anything, but relative to
other projects (commercial or FLOSS) this is insanely high.  And having
only one customer makes life pretty easy, too.

 	Brian