Subject: Re: Journal / Trade Mag?
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:30:24 -0800 (PST)

Recently a publication did a review of anti-spam software, and didn't
include SpamAssassin.  While it PO'd the SA developers here, I think they
had a valid reason, IMHO - whereas the commercial vendors were providing a
*product* that essentially required very little time to install or
customize (some were even appliances you just dropped on your network,
spent 5 minutes with a web-based console to set up, and pointed your MX
at) SpamAssassin requires some time to understand, install, and monitor.
When you're comparing products, it feels contrary to the spirit of fair
evaluation to invest hours in one product but judge the others based on
much less time spent configuring/installing, because nearly any solution
improves anyways with enough time spent, and the "average" IT shop
(particularly SMB) would probably not have the expertise to invest those
hours fruitfully anyways.  This is not to say that SA doesn't work
extremely well, or even that it wins in long-term cost (inclusive of
licensing and time spent and hardware etc).  Some of the commercial
products evaluated even included SA as one of their available filters.
But most FLOSS projects create technologies, not products, or even "whole
products" as first and probably best defined by Moore in
_Crossing_the_Chasm_.

Some might even argue that pure FSBs are not incented to create FLOSS that
is easy to install, run, and manage without needing to get your hands
dirty (which to a new user might even be defined as "needing to take a
look at a man page or FAQ"), because the users of such a product are
unlikely to feel they need the support from a commercial entity.  So it's
a problem that may not get solved for a long time, if ever.  Meanwhile the
tech space remains one of the most competitive industries out there - all
it takes is an upstart who can build a product using open source SSL VPN
software but provide it for less than the others to disrupt a market that
you feel is dominated by pricey solutions.  No one's stopping that.  That
it hasn't happened yet might suggest the trade pubs aren't presenting a
distorted picture of the situation.

 	Brian