Subject: Re: rocket science
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:58:23 +0900

    Ken> Taken from a software point of view there is a huge amount of
    Ken> overlap.

So what?  I didn't say don't look for vulnerabilities in desktop
systems, I said I don't see "civilization crippling" vulnerabilities
there, and explained why.

    Ken> So a vuln that affects a 'desktop' system will very likely
    Ken> affect other types of computer systems.

Yes, but it has to affect those *other* types to cause serious damage
to civilization.  The *desktop systems* are not the channel.

Let's put my argument this way: Going to the trouble of mathematically
verifying OpenOffice is not likely enough to help us keep the power
grid from crashing to be worth the effort, nor is it likely to
discover a civilization-crippling bug in OO itself.