Subject: Re: rocket science
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:03:42 +0900

    Russell> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

    >> In other words, open source also encourages unskilled
    >> mischief-makers to get into the game.  Closed source raises the
    >> ante for the skilled bad guys, and reduces the number of prime
    >> suspects.

    Russell>   Do you honestly believe this,

Of course I don't.  What I honestly believe is that there are law
enforcement officials that honestly believe it.

    Russell> or are you just relaying the rhetoric you have heard
    Russell> elsewhere

My rhetoric is original.  The logic is vaguely familiar but I don't
know that I've seen it in precisely that form before.

    Russell> if you close the source and make it illegal for "the good
    Russell> guys" to play, then you have done nothing but ensure that
    Russell> the "bad guys" will win.

You've made (at least) two erroneous assumptions there, both biasing
the result to the one you had already decided was what you want.  That
doesn't invalidate your conclusion, but security is _too important_ to
reason about that way.