Subject: Re: Cygnus and proprietary software
From: "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 01:19:05 -0500 (EST)

   Hmm, now that GPL'ed software has market share, the FSF could choose
   to release all their code under a new version of the GPL that's more
   virus-y: thou shalt not run this program in conjunction with programs
   not under the GPL.  Once the new license propagated it would kill all
   usage except for Linux.  I wonder if that's a win.  Would it cause
   more GPL programs in underpopulated categories (word processor,
   spreadsheet) to be written for Linux that wouldn't be written today?

Are you familiar with what happened with minix?

Restricting GNU software to only Linux would not be a win.  The FSF does
have some HP300s which cannot run linux...

I think there are a lot of people who want a word processor, but there
are no truely competent people who can write a good word processor and
are willing to get the job done.  Writing a word processor is apparently
not something that attracts competent hackers.  I'm not saying that it isn't
possible for a competent hacker to want to work on a word processor; I'm just
saying that as far as I can tell it has not happened yet.