Subject: Re: CIO Magazine on Open Source
From: Ben Tilly <btilly@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 00:49:43 -0500

wrote:
> > On 06 Mar 2005, at 23:05, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> > >
> > >Is that so surprising? Here in Germany, the largest computer mag
> > >sports 3-4 fullpage ads from Microsoft, all while the articles
> > >are singing the praises of Linux and the editorial stuff have
> > >built and continue to support half a dozen specialized Linux
> > >distributions for various purposes. And that's just ads running
> > >in a Linux-friendly technie mag; the less technical it gets, the
> > >more pronounced the schizophrenia becomes.
> >
> > I find that Info World is the only trade rag that really takes FOSS
> > seriously.  But they have a broader readership base _and_ advertising
> > base than CIO magazine.
>
> It's interesting / amusing / ironic / sad for those of us who've
> followed InfoWorld over the years.  I was first attracted to it around
> 1997/98 when Nick Petreley's column covered the topic periodically.
> This shortly after the flameout over the OS/2 readers' choice awards.

For those who don't know about this, there was a poll of InfoWorld
readers to decide what operating system should win the readers'
choice awards.  OS/2 won.  InfoWorld made accusations of ballot
stuffing by OS/2 zealots, and gave the award to Windows NT.

> Some of you may have noticed mentions I've made of TWikIWeThey (the site
> http://sco.iwethey.org/ is a page of same).  The short version of the
> long story is that a group of the "InfoWorld Electric" (IWE) forums
> decamped as IWE first blundered, then largely abandoned, their online
> forums.  The group is now self-hosting, on its own forum software
> (using Zope).  The Wiki is based on TWiki, but hosts on the same box.

A longer version of the story may be found on
http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/OurHistory.  What remains
of the online community may be found at
http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/board/show?boardid=1

I don't think that anyone has had the time or energy to write the
REALLY long version...

> More irony:  Ed Foster's Gripeline now runs on Scoop, the Kuro5hin CMS,
> which I'd advocated _strongly_ to IWE as it considered several other
> alternatives.  Best I can tell at present, the online site has dropped
> forums altogether, though its columns are now plugged as "blogs".

More irony still, Karsten is no longer active in IWETHEY yet he brought
this up, while I'm one of the most active people at IWETHEY and I
didn't mention it...

> I rarely read anything there unless it's referenced via an aggregator
> site.

Ditto.

For a while I got the magazine.  Getting them to drop my
subscription was unreasonably difficult.  Apparently they wanted
to keep circulation up because they were having trouble attracting
advertising.

I'm occasionally surprised that they still survive.

Cheers,
Ben