Subject: Re: Looking for open source support examples
From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby@henkel-wallace.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:27:20 -0800

On 24 Mar 2005, at 20:36, Lajos Moczar wrote:

> I'm doing an article on how open source deals with the issue of
> product infrastructure. I'm curious to know if there are any examples
> of when open source developers have formed their own companies to
> provide infrastructure services like support, training, integration,
> etc. I know that some developers do this on their own. Others are
> hired by open source companies, as when JBoss hired Remy Maucherat or
> Covalent hired various Apache developers (IIRC). And of course, there
> are plenty of examples of open source projects started or sponsored by
> companies who also provide infrastructure services.
>
> What I'm looking for are examples of where open source developers have
> come together on their own, so to speak, in order to provide these
> services. For example, have Debian, GNU or Apache developers formed
> any kind of company or organization to offer training or support for
> those products? I'm getting at the issue of whether, out of the ranks
> of free software developers, there is a trend of such organizations
> being formed or whether the impetus for the creation of such
> organizations always comes from outside the core development teams. My
> inkling is that the latter is more true than the former, and that the
> movement in general relies on external service providers rather than
> internally grown organizations.

Cygnus would probably count as, when we started, Tiemann was a core gcc
developer, though that term didn't exist in the sense you are using it.
  John and I were not, although things changed (e.g. there pretty much
_wasn't _ a core gdb developer and john became it, and later of course
we changed what core development of gcc meant, as explained my note
announcing egcs).

Since Cygnus became Red Hat, several of the GCC core developers have
started support companies.

The Ada guys formed a business (ACT) specifically for their project.  I
had thought that OAR had done the same with RTEMS, but perhaps it's the
other way around.

Michaelson and Metzger were significant NetBSD guys when they formed
Wasabi, as was and is Zoulas who is still on the board.

I don't remember if Adam Richter was a heavy Linux contributor or not
(I was too busy at the time to pay attention) when he started
Yggdrasil, but I kinda think he must have been).

hth,