Subject: Re: Cygnus and proprietary software
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 12:48:23 +0100 (MET)

Thanks for the explanation... I will try to get hold of this copyright
(any pointer?) for my collection :-)
  Actually, I am trying to understand the impact of copyright on the
succes of software.

  BTW... the discussion about Perl being free reminds me of what happened
to Simula 67 (thirty years ago).
   Simula 67 was by far the best language designed at the time, and it did
influence major developments (and I guess Smalltalk ... Peter you
correct me if I am wrong).
   But it was also a major flop where actual use is concerned.
Many people at the time attributed this to the fact that the language
itself (not the compilers) was copyrighted.

  Bernard

 Bernard.Lang@inria.fr             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 (1) 3963 5644
 http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Fax  +33 (1) 3963 5469