Subject: Re: Charging the Charger
From: Taran Rampersad <cnd@knowprose.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 23:44:35 -0500

David N. Welton wrote:

>Taran Rampersad <cnd@knowprose.com> writes:
>

>>That's an arguable description of freedom, since the freedom you
>>describe is for a redistributor to lock code away - which is a
>>violation of the GPL, and if Stallman signed onto that, I'd love to
>>know it.  That's the problem with the old BSD license, if you
>>recall... and why it's not considered a Free License.
>>

>The problem with that license was the so called "advertising clause".
>You are still quite free to take BSD code and make proprietary
>derivatives from it.

True. But in the days of less flexibility from the FSF, there was also
the issue that it *could* be put into a proprietary derivative. I won't
pretend to understand that or DotGNU, for that matter.

So instead of getting into that messy discussion, here's a question: Why
not just use a BSD license and release the source code whenever you want
to? Maybe GPL simply sounds better. I don't know. But it seems a whole
lot less messy to do this hypothetical scenario if you start with the
BSD license.

And you wouldn't even have to modify the BSD license! So cool.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: Esteli, Nicaragua

http://www.linuxgazette.com