Subject: Re: Cygnus and proprietary software
From: "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 19:17:11 -0500 (EST)

      Have you read http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/microsoft.html ?

   Yes, and I disagree with it.  I am not that free-market anymore.
   Entities that want to be monopolists are not as morally bad as
   entities that actually are monopolists.

But is Microsoft truely a monopoly?  I think I manage to completely avoid
anything related to Microsoft these days; I don't think I've logged into
the Windows 95 machines at school more than a handful of times this year
(and I think that was only to write floppies to install debian gnu/linux
on another computer.)

If Microsoft were truely a monopoly, the only way for me to get things done
would be to buy something from Microsoft.  This doesn't seem to be the case.

Now, it is true that Microsoft operating systems are the default on the vast
majority of computers, but if you want to, it is not hard to avoid that
default.

(I'm not sure why it is that I tend to use Macintoshes instead of Windows
machines when I need to telnet to a unix machine, but it happens to be that
way, and so this example works.)