Subject: Re: Charging the Charger
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 16:13:45 +0900

>>>>> "Laurent" == Laurent GUERBY <laurent@guerby.net> writes:

    MWVA> Why not harness these market incentives and add them to the mix?

    Laurent> Every action has a cost and ressources are scarce, I
    Laurent> don't say your proposal would not add to the mix but just
    Laurent> that focusing economists attention on other areas may
    Laurent> lead to much greater payoffs for OSS :).

Dunno about any of the other economists here, but when *I* want to do
something "for OSS" I fix bugs and fight spam and write docs for
XEmacs.  Doing economics "for OSS" would cost me all credibility in my
own eyes, and in the eyes of my peers.  So when I'm being an
economist, OSS is merely one more means to improved social welfare
that I'm evaluating, and it is _crucial_ to compare it to the
potential performance of market incentives---that is the measuring rod
we have available.