Subject: Re: Software as a public service
From: Peter Wayner <pcw2@flyzone.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 10:42:11 -0400

The law on text is pretty clear cut. US Government work can't be
copyrighted. It might not pass into the pure public domain, but several
Supreme Court cases established that US Government employees can't
copyright their work product. I'm not sure why this doesn't apply to
the software developed by say in house software writers at Social
Security or the other big IT shops. Maybe the precedent does.

-Peter