Subject: Re: Cygnus and proprietary software
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 00:19:11 -0500

> But is Microsoft truely a monopoly?

I think I read somewhere that economists have a relativly testable
definition of monopoly, but unfortunatly I don't know what it is.

Would you agree that MS doesn't have effective competition in the
desktop OS area?  And that most users are quite unhappy with their
options?  Isn't this situation pretty close to a monopoly?

> If Microsoft were truely a monopoly, the only way for me to get
> things done would be to buy something from Microsoft.  This doesn't
> seem to be the case.

Try finding an affordable small-business accounting package.

Another member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) www.lpf.org