Subject: Re: Software as a public service
From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller <robin@roblimo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 10:49:02 -0400

Peter Wayner wrote:

> The law on text is pretty clear cut. US Government work can't be
> copyrighted. It might not pass into the pure public domain, but
> several Supreme Court cases established that US Government employees
> can't copyright their work product. I'm not sure why this doesn't
> apply to the software developed by say in house software writers at
> Social Security or the other big IT shops. Maybe the precedent does.

There's also been some talk about how, here in Florida, all software
written or bought by state, county and municipal agencies might need to
be released under the state's "sunshine laws," which say *all* speech
and writing by public officials can be viewed by almost anyone who asks.
The only exception is personnel records...

- Robin